The term “foreclosure defense” means different things to different people at different times. It may mean one or more of the following in your case:
- Averting foreclosure by resolving your mortgage problems
- Proving that a lender does not have the right to foreclose on your home
- Asserting your right to manageable terms of a foreclosure that is inevitable
Attorney Kevin D. Judd in Greenbelt, Maryland, is primarily a bankruptcy law attorney who also addresses other asset preservation issues such as foreclosure defense whether or not bankruptcy is in the picture.
Finding your way forward when home foreclosure is a real threat can mean taking a step back from panic or fear and addressing the situation in a practical, businesslike manner. Attorney Kevin Judd is a well-qualified adviser for people facing foreclosure. He will help you review alternatives such as:
- Applying for a loan modification in response to changing economic factors
- Pursuing loss mitigation through a short sale or another method of resolving mortgage troubles
- Conducting a forced but orderly sale of your home to resolve unpaid property taxes
- Filing for Chapter 13 bankruptcy to stop foreclosure and restructure your mortgage arrearages
Many conscientious homeowners are horrified by the mention of the word “bankruptcy.” In fact, a Chapter 13 bankruptcy may be the best thing you can do for yourself and/or your family. If you faithfully follow the steps for Chapter 13 bankruptcy, you may reap the benefits, avoiding financial ruin and keeping your house.
Through a debt repayment plan, the core feature of a Chapter 13 bankruptcy, you may discover that you can manage slow, affordable repayment of back mortgage premiums with much less pressure. Debt reorganization through bankruptcy may reduce or eliminate fines, fees and interest on your unpaid mortgage premiums. When your bankruptcy is complete, you will hopefully be able to continue paying the rest of the mortgage or sell your home voluntarily without pressure or obstacles.
Discuss all your options and get a plan in mind to move forward in pursuit of your goals after a foreclosure has been a real threat. Are you a senior with a fixed income? A working parent with overwhelming child care and other costs pushing you down? A patient recovering from a major medical crisis or procedure? Whatever your circumstances, get legal advice that can point you in the right direction to prevent or manage foreclosure.